Skip to main content

Nea Kallikratia is a town in Halkidiki, created after the Exchange of Populations in 1922, with refugees coming from the town of Kallikratia in Eastern Thrace. Today it is a municipal district of the Municipality of Nea Propontida (Law 3852/2010, Program “Kallikratis”). Ecclesiastically it belongs to the metropolis of Kassandreia and its Patron Saint is Osia Paraskevi the Epivatini (the New). According to the 2001 census, it had 6,204 permanent residents.

It has 3 kindergartens, 2 Primary schools, 1 High School, 1 Lyceum, OTE Urban Press Health Center, KEP and other services. The main occupations of the inhabitants are tourism, fishing and agriculture.

In Nea Kallikratia there is a sports club, with departments in basketball, volleyball (AS Kentavros N. Kallikratias), handball (AS Kallikratis), football (PO Nea Kallikratias) and other sports.


Historical data

It seems that the area has been inhabited since the Neolithic era, while archaeological excavations have brought to light a tombstone of a daughter holding a dove in her left hand (dating to 440 BC), which is now kept in the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki.

The modern settlement was founded after 1922, with the Exchange of populations from refugees from the Kallikratia of Eastern Thrace who settled in the area, which was Metochi of the Monastery of Xenophon of Mount Athos and was called Stomion.